Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Replacing your chair with an exercise ball

I recently ditched my office chair for an exercise ball and am so thankful I did. I like most of you, sit at a desk for 8 hours of my day. I am usually so busy that I forget to pee. No seriously, I do. I wait until the very last minute and go running to the restroom.. well try to run, usually it takes me a  few 20 or so steps before I can stand up straight and walk like a normal person. I know I should get up every 20-30 mins to walk around but really who has time for that? Some people are lucky and their offices offer a stand up desk! I would love that or I think I would. That is not an option for me. Now with the chair, I have the a fore mentioned issues with walking upright like a normal person after sitting for a long period of time. I also have issue with my feet falling asleep;  my lower back killing me by the end of the day, which makes me tend to slouch in my chair, which negates all the hard work I do on my abs <sigh>.

So one day while shopping during lunch at Target (I do love Target!), I decided to stop by the exercise section and see how much an exercise ball was. To my surprise, I found one for $14.99. Which was awesome, however I followed the instructions for my size on the box and got one too small for my desk, so I literally have my ball sitting on phone books (good use for them, right?).  Even on the phone books I have noticed a huge difference with my body.


I no longer have to wait 20 or steps to stand up right, I do not have to wait any steps. I walk normal now. I no longer have parts of my body going to sleep and I do not get sleepy at my desk after sitting for a long period of time (bonus). I tend to stretch a lot (back, core and hips), which is great with all the work outs I do and with the  current challenge we have going on Fitness with Jamie. I love the fact that I am moving by body side to side front to back,  bouncing up and down (which stimulates thinking and well is fun);  doing some core work, lifting my legs for a little exercise, all while working. I have noticed that I no longer have back pain at the end of the day. I am also sitting up straight on the ball.

I really thought I would need a ball chair contraption but am very pleasantly surprised that I only needed this $14.99 ball and some unused phone books. I also thought it would take a long time to get use too but it did not take any time at all  and my old chair is the perfect place to put my purse :D  This may not be for everyone but it certainly is perfect for me!  If you decide to get try this out, buy the LARGE ball so that you do not have to use phone books like me :D

Have a very fit day!


No comments:

Post a Comment