Some tips to help you exercise and not shoot a spouse or co-worker are:
- Exercise in the morning, even if you are not a morning person. Not for any other reason other than, as the day goes on, you can always find excuses (and sometimes really good ones) for not exercising after work/school. You have a late meeting, you have to grab the kids, traffic was bad etc. Plus you can mark it done for the day. For me, it also helps me wake up, and starts my day off right. I love love love working out in the morning, and I am not a morning person.
- Never skip a Monday work out, and while you are at it, never skip two days in a row. Mondays set a pattern for the week, as well as if you skip 2 days then you make the excuse it is okay to skip a 3rd and next thing you know you are back to being a couch potato 50 lbs over weight.
- Limited time to exercise and clean yourself.. no problem, find a way to exercise that doesn't require you to shower afterward. Weight training or walking indoors are some good ideas.
- Begin, even if you have to bargain with yourself that you will only do a small amount. More than likely once your start, you will finish, but if you do not, that is okay too, 10/15 mins is better than no minutes.
- Think positively- I personally do not LOVE yoga, but I am doing a Yoga/Pilates hybrid (Piyo) and even though it is hard (yoga is hard don't let anyone tell you differently) I remember that I love the feeling I have after the work out and the next day. I also barter with myself that I only have to do half of it, and I always end up finishing. Think about the things you love about the work out you dread. Hate running, think about how good the sweat feels when you are done, how accomplished you feel when you have logged in the miles. Positive thoughts go a long way! If those do not work, bribe yourself :D
- Make sure you get in 3 to 5 exercises a week, if you keep that up, you are more than likely to make it a habit and keep going.
- Make sure you have the clothes - I sleep in what I am going to work out in, (I work out at home) that way as soon as I get up I know I have to work out. If you work out at the gym, pack your bag the night before and lay it on your drivers seat, that way you remember to work out and you don't forget anything like shoes or shorts.
- Make exercise affordable. You do not have to pay for a gym membership, especially if you will not go. My husband used to pay for 2 gym memberships to make sure he went to at least one gym. I hate the gym, I work out to exercise videos at home in my underwear (don't judge) or I go running with my infant (with shorts on). For me I am okay paying $50-100 for a work out video that I will use for 3- 6 months then again later, as I know I will waste $10-25 paying for a gym membership that I will not use,. Where my husband, need to go to a gym to work out and the videos would be a waste of money to him. Find what works for you, and know you and do things that cost little to no money. Cable companies and Amazon have free videos, I have tons of work outs in this blog you can use which require your body and a timer. So money is no excuse!
What is your favorite tip to ensure you exercise?
Check me out at Beachbody or Facebook!