Monday, July 22, 2013

Turning your normal Cardio work out into a High Intensity Interval Training work out

You can turn almost any cardio work out into a high intensity interval training work out. You can do this work out on any cardio machine (set to manual mode) or with any outdoor activity such as walking, running or cycling. This workout is best for intermediate or advanced exercisers looking for more bang for your time.

High intensity interval training (HIIT)  helps  to build endurance, increase your anaerobic threshold and burn more calories and fat both during and after your workout. Which is great for weight loss and getting you into great shape. I love these work outs because  you will see an over all increase in lung capacity and endurance. 

Keep in mind that the springs  for 30 seconds should be an all-out effort and  is meant to be challenging.  I  usually find it hard to breath at the end of the 30 seconds. But go all out because you have 4.5 mins  to recover. 

Do not do this work out every day, skip days and do a weight work out in between your HIIT training work outs, with some light cardio to keep your body guessing. Plus more muscle burns more fat and makes you nice and lean.

Here is a guide to your perceived exertion

Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
Level 9: I am probably going to die
Level 10: I am dead


Have fun with this and enjoy the sweat and burn!


TimeIntensity/SpeedPerceived Exertion
5 min.Warm up at an easy-moderate pace4-5
5 min.Baseline: Increase speed gradually to a comfortable, moderate pace  5
30 secondsSprint all out as fast as you can9
4.5 minReduce speed to a comfortable pace to fully recover4-5
30 secondsSprint all out as fast as you can9
4.5 minReduce speed to a comfortable pace to fully recover4-5
30 secondsSprint all out as fast as you can9
4.5 minReduce speed to a comfortable pace to fully recover4-5
30 secondsSprint all out as fast as you can9
4.5 minCool down at an easy pace3-4
Total :30 Minutes

For more on Interval training go to this site: primermagazine.com/2008/learn/burn-450-percent-more-fat-in-half-the-time-with-interval-training

Have a very fit day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment